FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 30, 2012
Consumers Credit Union Gives Back to Its Members
KALAMAZOO, MICH― Consumers Credit Union announces the winners of its annual Dollars For Scholars Scholarship program. Consumers annually awards five $2,000 scholarships to exemplary students who are also excellent community citizens. The scholarships are funded by staff during casual dress Fridays and from coin machine revenue. Each applicant is evaluated with equal emphasis on academic achievement, community service, and essay content. After receiving 87 applications, this year’s winners are:
• Kelsey Weener – Kelsey is a graduate of Holland Christian High School and plans to attend Olivet Nazarene University to study nursing and Spanish. During her high school career she was on the Varsity swim and track teams and participated in the Spanish Club. She also volunteered for Compassionate Heart Ministries and served on Link Crew, Holland Christian’s mentoring program.
• Alexandra Vizard – Alexandra is a graduate of Portage Northern High School and plans to attend Saint Mary’s College to study accounting. During her high school career she was a member of the National Honor Society, participated in 4H for more than 8 years riding and showing horses, served as President of Tri-United 4H, and tutored elementary age children.
• Brandon Kik – Brandon is a graduate of Plainwell High School and plans to attend Loyola University. During his high school career he was on the JV and Varsity soccer teams, served on the student senate, and was Assistant Editor for his school newspaper. He also volunteered for Big Brothers/Big Sisters and was on the National Honor Society.
• Alexandra Page – Alexandra is a graduate of Kalamazoo Christian High School and plans to attend the University of Michigan to study political science or pre-law. During her high school career she was on the JV and Varsity soccer and volleyball teams, and has been involved in church service most of her life, including volunteer work for Youth for Christ and Roseland Christian Ministries.
• Dylan Plachta – Dylan is a graduate of Mattawan High School and plans to attend DePaul University to study business management in sports. During his high school career he was on the golf, football, and basketball teams, and served as class president for two years. He was also a member of the National Honor Society and volunteered for the Kalamazoo Gospel Mission.